Mike Miller wrote:
> I don't want this to turn into an unpleasant argument.  I'm actually not
> taking sides, just looking for more information.

You have a fair question.

Here's my response:

1. The "end-to-end" nature of the Internet is one of it's huge strengths:

   From Code v.2
   http://codebook.jot.com/Book/Chapter4/Ch4Part2

   This minimalism in design is intentional. It reflects both a political
   decision about disabling control and a technological decision about
   the optimal network design. The designers were not interested in
   advancing social control; they were concerned with network
   efficiency. Thus, this design pushes complexity out of the basic
   Internet protocols, leaving it to the applications, or ends, to
   incorporate any sophistication that a particular service may require

   See also:
   http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/e2e/papers.html

2. The answer I like to use w.r.t. handling QoS is simply to
   add more bandwidth (presumably there's a *lot*
   of dark fiber out there -- even before fancy WDM).
   By now do we really have to worry that the Internet
   build out will stop because we don't encourage
   biz models around QoS *a la* "your next hop is
   brought to you by McDonald's"?

3. pointer to...
   Why You Should Care About Network Neutrality
   http://www.slate.com/id/2140850/

4. Net neutrality is probably a pre-requisite to public
   Internet access (i.e. free and libre municipal WiFi, WiMAX, other).

   Google in San Francisco: 'Wireless overlord'?
   http://news.com.com/Google+in+San+Francisco+Wireless+overlord/2100-1039_3-5886968.html

   "The word 'free' in this context is problematic. Google expects more than
   incurring costs from this test bed, and it'll be keeping all kinds of data
   about what people do on the network. (Yes, there's that Google-versus-privacy
   question again; it just keeps coming up.),"

That's all for now ;-)

--Tom