Net neutrality is not simple. If you want nationwide on-demand video, for
example, you need more backbone capacity. Providers won't build the extra
capacity unless they are ensured payment for it. Content providers won't
make the on-demand video available unless they are ensured of a high-quality
delivery system.

The path to Internet 2 requires a substantial investment in network
capacity. If you believe the Internet is a public good (like a road), then
the best solution is a publicly funded build out of a high capacity network.
If you believe the Internet is a private good (like a shopping mall or video
store), then the best solution is a privately funded build out where an open
market determines the costs and speed of delivery.

I see the Internet as a public good that makes a rare contribution to
democracy itself. I think the best solution is publicly fund an internet
backbone across the U.S. to be managed for the benefit of all citizens.