I know rdist is insecure and should be dumped for rsync over ssh for a more
secure transfer agent.  However, given the current environment, I'm unable
to do so in the amount of time I have to get this to work. rsync over ssh is
coming, but not soon enough.

I'm running into the following error when I'm attempting to run 'rdist -bc
/file hostname' from a Solaris 8 system to an RHELv4 system:

rdist: connection failed: version numbers don't match

I've spent a significant amount of time researching this issue, but have as
of yet to come up with a solution to get it to work.  According to the man
page, there could be some output from logging in that is causing the command
to fail.  I've moved any ~/.hidden files per some suggestions to elminate
this issue as much as possible, however it didn't fix the issue.

There were about 4 or more different possibilies, but none of them seemed to
work.  I have not attempted to update the version of rdist on the Solaris
system because it works with all other systems except for the RHEL systems.

Google, and RH's website haven't provided any good answers.  Has anyone run
into this previously, and what was your solution?

Thanks.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..