On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:58:47AM -0500, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> Looking for SATA hard drives it seems that I get more bang for my buck by
> getting SATA 2 drives. If I remember correctly SATA 2 drives work just fine
> on SATA 1 controllers.

Correct.

>                        However, if I am getting SATA2 drives I might as well
> get SATA2 controllers.

Since you need an add-on board, I presume you want to use it in an
older machine in which case you will have other bottlenecks and SATA 1
vs. SATA 2 won't make any difference to you. Obviously get the SATA 2
disks so you can reuse them later.

> Does support for SATA2 lessen in 2.6 vanilla kernels?

Not necessarily as the hardware is quite similar from the driver side. It
depends on the vendor and hardware revision. Intel seems to have the best
support, but SIIG is the cheapest and has wide availability on add-on
boards (and as a second controller on many motherboards).

florin

--
There was a typo, but on the wrong page.
   -- Vipin Kumar