This is the real challenge I think; on running ifconfig with no
arguments, I only see eth0 (the rj-45 connection) and lo (loopback).
eth1 should show up (it's what Gnome's networking system tool says) or
wlan0 (what ndiswrapper says) but neither show up.

ifconfig -a

shows eth0, eth1 (that's the wireless then) lo and sit0 (?)

But apparently eth1 is not available/active/whatever.

I'm not sure if this is why the command is failing. I tried

sudo wpa_supplicant -c/home/user/Desktop/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dmadwifi -iwlan0

And got the same:
Failed to read read or parse configuration
'/home/user/Desktop/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

Thank you

           -jordan