On 5/11/06, Max Eper <diebywire at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to do the same to connect to my home machine while
> traveling, but it's behind two (NAT) cable modem routers, with 22
> going to a machine behind the first router, and my personal computer
> behind another router which is downstream of the first router.
>
> I'm stumped as to how to do a 'VNC two-step' to get to Home_1 from the
> outside using this setup. Any help appreciated.

Jima's post is the way I would normally do it, but since OpenSSH 4.3
has some new features, lets take a look at a different way to solve
this problem.  SSH can now set up a tun(4) device between the client
and server.   So, you would ssh to Public_Server, and after
authentication you get a tun1 (or the next availible tun device) set
up on your system, which can then be configured to have an IP address
on that network. Then just set up NAT2 to forward 5900 to Home_1.
After doing the ssh,you should have something that configures the tun
device, and set up a route.  Then you just vnc directly to NAT2.

Ok, its overkill for this application, but maybe someone else will
think of a good place to use this new feature of OpenSSH.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/