"T.J. Duchene" <tj at genesiswireless.us>  wrote:
> Personally, I wish that as a group we programmers could force a
> binary middleware on the industry, so that applications would be OS
> independent.

Ah, yes.  The pancea of application design, OS agnosticism.
Unfortunately a problem that isn't likely going to be solved, ever.
Why?  The problem with trying to design binary middleware is that
EVERYONE has to agree upon what is best for EVERY problem set.  That
means commercial acceptance as well.  Designing this type of
wide-application virtual machine is HARD.

If you won't accept Java or .NET, Parrot is a good example of this
type of effort.  It will be the Perl 6 virtual-machine implementation
of choice, and it's gaining momentum in hosting other languages.
Who knows if it'll gain commercial acceptance at all, even if it does
become useful to the FOSS world.

http://www.parrotcode.org/
http://www.parrotcode.org/languages/

--