On Thu, 04 May 2006 at 11.56.32 -0500, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:43:09AM -0500, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:
> > We may need to set up a small SAN, mostly to get more I/O bandwidth.
> > What are everybody's favourite HBAs and SAN boxes?
>
> Qlogic HBAs.

Ok.

> For SAN boxes, it depends on your price range and size.  Small for you
> may not be the same as small for me (yes, size matters!).  I'm managing
> about 200TB of storage on HP EVAs - most of it is not for Linux though.
> The smallest EVA here is about 8TB and the largest over 40 I think (it
> grows constantly!).  The UofM uses mostly EMC Clarrion for their SAN and
> I think they have Linux clients too.

We don't have a lot of data, we mostly just need more spindles.  So we'd
want 12-14 disks, size isn't a big deal, like 2-4TB should be plenty.

We also want a vendor who will `get' Linux and won't whine that we aren't
running Redhat CoreFrobozz 45.2 on a WhizzBang 3000 machine because that's
the ONLY thing they'll support at all.  Not that we expect to need a
lot of support, I just have a low tolerance for bullshit.

--
Sidney CAMMERESI
http://www.cheesecake.org/sac/