I used Debian for a few years and switched to Ubuntu about a year ago.

I think the main difference between them, for a desktop user, is that
Ubuntu typically has a newer core system (things like the kernel, udev
x.org, alsa) while Debian typically has newer applications.  If you are
a fanatical apt-get upgrader, then running Debian Etch or Sid will be
more fun, since Ubuntu only updates every six months.  If you're a
little more patient, then Ubuntu provides the better experience.

You can, of course, run Ubuntu unstable, and get packages that are only
slightly older than Debian's.  But Ubuntu unstable is *far* less stable
than Debian unstable.

In the end, both are fantastic distros and will serve your needs.  I
just think that the considerations tip slightly in favor of Ubuntu for
desktop users.

Ian