On 5/4/06, Jim Crumley <crumley at belka.space.umn.edu> wrote:

> You don't have to anything special to use the iPod as a disk
> under Linux.  Just follow the directions for using gtkpod (or any
> other Linux iPod software).  You just mount iPods as a removable
> disk to use them under Linux as either a mp3 player or removable
> disk.  My fstab line is:
> /dev/sdb2         /media/ipod   vfat          noauto,user,sync   0       0
>
> Depending on whether you are attaching the iPod through USB or
> firewire, you may also need to load a kernel module or two.

Just to add to that, if you're using a recent GNOME desktop (and maybe
KDE too, I don't use KDE), the iPod should be automatically mounted as
soon as you connect it (at least it works for my shuffle).   You can
still add it to /etc/fstab if you want, but it's probably not strictly
necessary these days (I don't have it in my /etc/fstab).  Of course,
if you want to access it from outside of a desktop environment, you'll
need to do the fstab thing.

Jonathon