see http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Catalogue-of-Rules

in particular:
TeX and Web
    n.dvi is made from n.tex with the command `$(TEX)'. n.tex is made
from n.web with `$(WEAVE)', or from n.w (and from n.ch if it exists or
can be made) with `$(CWEAVE)'. n.p is made from n.web with `$(TANGLE)'
and n.c is made from n.w (and from n.ch if it exists or can be made)
with `$(CTANGLE)'.

So it looks like if you add a line such as
TEX = latex
to your makefile, then it should use latex instead of tex

Jonner