Newegg doesn't sell IDE-attached Travan tape drives anymore, only one they
have is a USB-attached Quantum one. Bought one, plugged it in, it registers
as /dev/st0.

I can do an 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' on it, and get a reasonable response
back. However, it refuses to eject the tape. I issue a 'mt -f /dev/st0
rewoffl', and it does nothing. dmesg reports:

st0: Error with sense data: <6>st0: Current: sense key: Illegal Request
    Additional sense: Invalid command operation code

which doesn't seem to be terribly unusual for IDE tape drives. (I'm betting
that the guts of this thing are IDE.) It may or may not be the problem.

Anyone have a positive experience with USB-attached tape drives under Linux?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator