Brian Hurt <bhurt at spnz.org>  wrote:
> Generally attempts to go cold turkey don't work.

For souls of lesser mettle, perhaps! :-)  I don't want to sound like
the wizened old Linux god, but I am.  No, wait.  That's another
person.  Anyway, let's dial the "Way Back Clock" to Spring of 1999 on
a rainy evening in Monticello, Minnesota.  I had successfully
retreated to the computer room at my apartment.  Windows98 was
misbehaving yet again.  I cursed.  No amount of defragmenting the disk
would speed things up.  Antivirus applications reported "All Clear",
and yet, performance was dog slow.

No matter.  All I wanted to do was get on-line and frag some poor,
deluded, pimple-nosed punk who thought they could catch LtFunf.  It
wasn't going to happen; not that night, anyway!  With a 2 liter of
Mountain Dew to my left, peppered beef jerky to my right, and a bag of
Skittles in front of me, the little bastards wouldn't know what hit
them.

And then it happened.  Blue Screen of Death.  BSoD.  The end of the
end.  No!  Not again!  I had reinstalled the month before!  It
couldn't happen again so soon!  Arrggggg!

The blue light bathed the room.  Silence.  I gazed over to my CD case.
She was in there, calling.  "I would never treat you the way he does,"
she purred.  "I would never hurt you."  I unzipped the black nylon
case slowly.  "He never understood you anyway."  I flipped the mylar
envelopes, passing the disk with the hand-scrawled "Windows
Utilities", passing the professionally printed CD labeled "Windows 98
Upgrade Edition!".

There She was, in brushed-metal silver.  In black sharpie was written
the words "Debian GNU/Linux" and "Disc 1".  Ben Kochie had helped me
install Debian on an old 486 machine to replace a poorly written
firewall earlier that year.  I had been dual booting my workstation at
home for the last year or so with an old version of Red Hat, 4.2.
Dependencies were difficult to resolve.  Rather than finding packages
on the CD that were required for the software to be installed, you had
to read the errors that popped up and then guess at what the package
name might be, search for it on the disk, and then install that one.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Debian had been exceedingly easy to install.  I recalled a statement
that a chicken pecking at the ENTER key could install it.  I looked
back up at the blue CRT.  Could I do it this time?  Could I quit
Windows cold turkey?

.   .   .   .   .   .

It's the year 2006, Spring once again, and I reflect upon that fateful
night that I left Windows behind.  Oh, I had reinstalled Windows again
when a new game was released that I just had to play, but eventually I
quit buying games.  I quit booting into Windows for any reason
whatsoever.  I didn't want to have to deal with yet another Windows
installation.  Then Transgaming came on to the scene with Cedega.  I
purchased Half Life, and reawakened my carnal beast... in Linux.

I can laugh at myself now, at how forgiving I was toward software.
When Outlook died and lost all of my email, I was irate, but
ultimately complacent.  When Windows crashed, I simply rebooted.  When
Windows "got old and slow", I reinstalled.  Then she came in to my
life, and my world was changed.  I never went back.  When I have to
install Windows on some work machine, I feel physical pain.  When I go
home, she's there, running still.  Safe.  Secure.  Stable.  Perhaps I
should mention Fast, Responsive, and Fun?  How about Power?  Free
Beer?  Freedom?

I believe there's a place for Windows and Microsoft.  It keeps me
employed because it's so fragile.  How can I complain about that?
Microsoft had done such a great job pulling the wool over the public's
eyes, that they don't realize they've been swindled.  Perhaps some
day, they'll learn.  Perhaps cows will rule the world.

"Moo."

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/