On Wednesday 29 March 2006 14:55, "Erik Anderson" <erikerik at gmail.com> sent a
missive stating:
> On 3/29/06, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> > Even if it were, what makes your timezone special?
> >
> > What happens if you in St. Paul and Kim and Seul both check-in code?
> > Whose timezone shall be used?
> >
> > What happens if you move the server, or switch to a remote replica
> > after a disaster hits your server? Should all the files on the server
> > be updated?
>
> Whoa there - I appreciate your sentiments, but I wasn't looking for a
> lecture on the subject.
>
> This is a private CVS server, and 99% of the people that use it live
> in the central timezone.  Call me naive, but I asked a simple question
> and was hoping for a simple answer.

What he's trying to say is that it's up to the CVS client to display the
correct time for the particular users location. The server stores the
timestamp in GMT, so that your pal in Nepal updating a file and your buddy in
Norwak, CT can update the file at the same time and not have problems with
the different changes. They of course would see change dates as being
relative to their time. This is a good thing.

The behaviour shouldn't be changed. The client and server display the right
time relative to the location they're at and internal it uses GMT. This will
save you hardship should the server ever move, etc...

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
rhavenn at rhavenn.net
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who
 understand binary and those who don't..."