On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 11:15 -0600, Christopher Howard wrote:
> I have a Performa 5200CD and a Performa 6320CD.  The 6320 is faster with
> biger hard disk and has some type of video capture card in it.  The 5200
> is a one piece with the built in monitor.  I figure move what I can to
> it.  This is a NuBus system.
>
> If posible it be nice to watch a VCR or DVD thru the video card, use it
> as a TV, and then have streaming audio off the net at other times.  I
> know what I need to get Debian onto it, but does any one have knowledge
> about the video capture card?

According to http://www.everymac.com/, the 5200 has a 75 MHz CPU, while
the 6320 has a 120 MHz one.  They're both limited to 64 MB of RAM
maximum.  Neither box is going to be very enjoyable to use with Debian.
The power supply in my Pentium 133 shorewall box just kicked the bucket
the other day, and I must say I'm glad since doing an apt-get was a very
slow process--and that box had 128 MB of RAM.

Using it to play streaming audio could work okay -- in a previous
incarnation, my box was used as an audio player, and functioned
adequately.  You might be able to use one of them as a TV, but I suspect
the video output would be less than stellar.  Personally, I can't watch
TV on a computer unless it's filtered through a good deinterlacer, and
you usually need a few hundred MHz to pull that off with reasonable
quality.

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>