On 3/8/06, Keith Bachman <kcbnac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of expanding on my desktop (currently: AMD Athlon64
> 3800+, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, DVD R/RW, 10/100/1000 NIC, dual-booting XP Pro and
> Ubuntu 5.10 at the moment, but Windows is purely for gaming) with another HD
> or two, so I could very easily drop a mirror of whatever on there.
>
> So, here's my questions:
>
> Which distros do we want?
> How many revisions back do we mirror for them, or do we just mirror
> everything available on the public servers?

Debian dosnt really split things like that.  You can split the
architectures up. You can figure  ~60G for i386 and ~13G more for
amd64 (amd64 uses symlinks with the main repository, so its only
functional if you mirror at least part of the main repository)  There
might be some demand for ppc or sparc support, but the little demand
may not justify the added space.

> Any reason the HD couldn't be set up to be moved/duplicated/mirrored as
> needed, if say I wasn't able to make it to an installfest, I just pass the
> disk off to someone else who can, and we have the drive itself set for such
> work?

The biggest problem is getting in sync if you are out of sync.  Even
with a lot of bandwidth, mirroring 100-200G of data will take a while,
so you cant "just" mirror to someone else quickly. Running daily
rsyncs will go a long way to solve the problem, and some distros (like
Debian) even has a "push" mirror availible so you only get updates
when something needs to get updated.   If you made the disk(s?) such
they could be easily moved to other systems, that would help in the
event you couldnt make it to an installfest.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/