On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:46:57PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Florin Iucha wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 09:10:45AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> >
> >>Sadly, the Ubuntu CDs did not make an appearance.  In fact, I was
> >>surprised to hear from one of the organizers that he didn't even know
> >>what Ubuntu was.  Was he kidding?
> >>
> >>Anyway, we lugged our computer out there, drove 15 miles, and were very
> >>disappointed.
> >
> >You should have shouted louder: I had two ubuntu amd64 cds and I had the
> >i386 cds pass through my hands on a couple of occasions. Also, there
> >were people with cd burners that could have cooked more if need be.
>
> Maybe next time.  I guess people should walk into the room and start
> yelling, literally, about what they want.  I was told to talk to the man
> in the black shirt.  Someone thought he was in charge.  He thought Ubuntu
> was a funny name, but that was all he knew about it.  So I left.

I know geeks are introverted, I am one of them, but asking only two
people then complaining that you drove 15 miles for nuttin' is a bit
strange...

> If you had someone in charge of directing installees to installers, that
> could help.

Sure, do *you* volunteer?

There were some failings:
   - short announcement time frame
   - not announced on the most frequented mailing list
   - cds not showing up
   - no install server
   - nobody in charge of the technical side
   - no registration/name tags
   - no wireless until 2/3 though the time slot
but:
   - I've discovered the subtlety of following Broadway up to Bass Lake,
   - met interesting people,
   - helped few enthusiasts,
   - seen some new and interesting stuff,
   - had a good time!
For me the installfest was a success and we owe big thanks to the person
who secured the room and arranged for the drinks and pizza.

Linux is a bazaar, not a catedral,
florin

--
Don't question authority: they don't know either!