I have been using Asterisk for over a year now, since September 05 using Asterisk at home (which is now Trixbox). The one advantage of
using Asterisk is it is really the only true IP telephony server that uses IAX2 protocol, which is a godsend to avoid firewall/NAT
issues. Unfortunately STUN is just not applicable in many situations.

Currently for my small business we have Digium cards connected to the PSTN. Since September the server has only gone down once, due to
a power failure in the building. Other than that I have never found a system so complicated, yet so simple to use, as well as so very
very stable. Would I recommend over a commercial PBX, by all means. Especially for smaller businesses where money is tight, there really
is no better alternative. Overall, asterisk works out to be an even more complete solution than even the Cisco CM with Unity.

Right now the VOIP server is a dual 500Mhz with 768MB RAM. Using SNMP I have collected months of statistics and never has the server
been even close to being underpowered. This while the server is managing multiple connections via PSTN as well as strict IP to IP
communications.

Now the one drawback is this. The greatest feature of Asterisk as I said is the IAX2 protocol. Sadly as of now there really are no
decent IAX2 compatible phones, at least for the US market. Those that are available come from some really shady companies in China. On
the other hand if the requirement does not specify any Internet communication then SIP works just fine, and any SIP compatible phone
will work. We have a mix of Cisco 7910s and 7940s. One of which I have at home connected via VPN.

Depending upon several factors, you really need to take a good examination of whether to use Trixbox (which is essentially AAH 3.0) or
build asterisk within Fedora, Suse, or another distro. One advantage of using Trixbox is the distro is essentially wipe of all
unnecessary junk, leaving that which can or will be used. More so you do have a rather high level of confidence that the system will be
up and running with little to no complications. Essentially the components have been pre-tested for you. If going the other route using
Fedora (recommend) or Suse (not recommended) please factor in that once it is up and running you really need to give it a good workout.

My first Asterisk was built on both Fedora, with a test on Suse. The one thing that got me to move to Asterisk was it seemingly could
build Zaptel support with my Wildcard, where as the Fedora and Suse were very problematic.

My recommondation for build is this. Skip Linux software raid all together and build using hardware hot swappable RAID. For the number
of users you have 9GB is way more than enough, at least to begin with. Most likely if this is a new server, the lowest you can get
anyways is 36GB which is more than enough. Once installed and configured, image the drive with something like Acronis, and burn it to
DVD. Afterward using numerous utilities (AMP has its included) you can back up the conf and mail files to whatever schedule you wish.
In the event of a disaster recovery, restore the image and copy over the config files and you will be back up in less than 20 minutes
(our own disaster tests took 10 minutes to recover from complete system failure). This method allows you to skip haveing to build the
Zaptel support for the cards.

Lastly, as for issues...I can not think of anything, other than that which I created! Seriously, the only problem I ever had was doing
yum I was not paying attention and did not notice that the kernal was upgraded. Well this required a rebuild of Zaptel. Truthfully this
was my own *&$# fault for being lazy and not paying attention. Luckily this was on a test machine. From what I have read so far Trixbox
has removed this issue (this actually happened to quite a few users, with a big surpise when they rebooted their servers).

Other than that I have yet to encounter one single issue or problem. Suffice to say this has caused me to be a very big proponent of
Asterisk. Over this time I have had more problems with Samba and Apache2

Can't think of anything else to say. I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

Sean Waite