Jonathon Jongsma wrote:

>a few days ago, sound stopped working on my laptop.  I'm starting to
>suspect that it's a hardware problem, but since I'm not an expert when
>it comes to hardware, I'm not sure how to go about proving whether
>it's a software or hardware issue.  Can anybody give me any pointers
>on where to start looking?  If it were a desktop, I'd just try
>swapping in a new sound card, but I'm not sure what to do on a laptop.
>
>The basic symptom is that the music player acts like it's playing
>stuff, but no sound comes out, either from the built-in speakers or
>the headphone jack.
>
>Does anybody know of a definitive way to prove whether it's a hardware
>or software issue?  By the way, I'm running Ubuntu Dapper on a HP
>zv6000 series laptop.
>
>Thanks,
>Jonathon

A couple of ideas --

Have you checked that ALL the channels on the mixer (KMix?) are enabled,
and full volume?

Try a live CD, like Knoppix?

I'm on a HP zv5000 running Kubuntu (KDE) Breezy right now.  I have
discovered that sometimes one sound program (Kaffeine, for instance)
messes up settings (often codecs) for other programs.  Just have to go
through resetting the configurations.

There's a "Switch" setting in the Kmix control that enables a "Headphone
Jack Sense" -- turns off the speakers when the headphones are plugged
in.  You might try fiddling with that.

And you said that you've tried playing an audio CD, right?

Kraig