I think part of it, is that in older versions of mailman, mail from non-members required a moderator to accept or reject the messages.  Up till a recent upgrade, I was getting hundreds of these a week and having to click on the reject button for each on some of my lists.  The current mailman software allows for non-member messages to just be rejected without intervention.

I don't blame Bob for wanting to limit the spam in those days.

7635.html

And even that doesn't really make it clear to me how bots are sending
mail to a members only list through yahoo accounts.

Since this is members only - are you saying, that the bots (which
apparently only use yahoo accounts) are capable of signing up to the
list, and then sending spam from their valid, registered accounts?

If the bots are this smart, why don't they use other addresses beside yahoo?

Maybe the answers are already obvious to the pro sys admins on the list.

I think this question needs more real facts than poll results.  Why not
do a 1 month (or less, if a spam problem develops) test run to see if
allowing yahoo accounts is still a real problem.  Then take a poll -
with real facts backing up the choices of the poll.

Arbitrary decisions like this seem rather draconian when people (like
me) don't know the history or the reasoning behind the decisions that
were made years ago.

Dan