Bob Tanner wrote:
> Now, here are my salvo's back...
>
> Let's talk about Free (speech) and free (beer, zero cost, none).
>
> - - You are Free to setup another mailing list and offer free access to it.
>   What it will do is further fragment the community. Which is something the
>   oldest members of this community work very hard at preventing.

I wholeheartedly agree. Fragmentation of the community will only hinder
the community.

> - - You are Free to branch the community. Competition is good. The strongest
>   branch will survive, normally swallowing the lesser branch. Since 1999(?)
>   tclug has been the strongest branch. I don't see this changing in the near
>   future.
> - - Our community expects a spam-free mailing list, because of this
>   expectation some Freedoms have to be lost. Don't like it, but it's the
>   hard facts.
> - - You are Free to post (rant, scream) all you want on the list. It's also a
>   Freedom the community grants. Heated words and firey discussions wake up
>   the old-guard (see, you got me to post!). BUT this is a public forum, it's
>   archived -and- available to the public. You post here, the message is "out
>   there" forever. I encourage everyone to think of this last point. The
>   community has also decided, that once posted, forever shall it remain in
>   the archive. I've held that line with countless people trying to remove
>   posts (OT: which does little, since google, wayback, etc crawls us
>   nightly). With employers adding google/myspace/'net searches to their
>   employment checks won't it be terrible to not get into a college because
>   of your stupid postings at MySpace when you where 15? Or insensitive
>   comments to a mailing list? Think about it!
> - - Since there are countless ways to read and post to this group without
>   having using yahoo I think you'll not find much support for your rant.
>   This community and FOSS in general reward people for flexible, innovative
>   ideas. Be flexible try one of the other access methods.
>
> Finally, I'll add, gmane will let your Reply-To: be whatever email address
> you want, so you can still have your tclug posting be sent to your yahoo
> address.
>
> If you wish to further discuss this issue, please send me private email,
> I'll take some time away from reading the cliff notes on Mein Kampf to
> answer.

I think that Bob pretty much proves his point(s) and rather well I might
add. I am going to vote in the poll, as soon as I send this off.

Let's keep it all on one list, ok? Everyone pretty much agrees I think,
there really is no reason for this. It will HARM the community.

Wayne, I ask you to reconsider, and I think everybody will be able to
come out of this happy. (and besides, if Jima get's that package in
fedora extra for you, it'll be that much easier :] )

Anyway, I don't know I just had to write something on this thread as I
have absolutely great memories of the first tclug meeting (at the mall
of america, no less...) where ben kochie, a few others and I scrawled
email addresses on napkins in the food court. This must have been early
98 or so maybe late 97, who cares anyway the point is... that day I had
NO IDEA how great tclug would become. I mean, Bob & team seem to do an
incredible job making the list do it's thing. And I find it's always
great to have a linux list that's local, for fun stuff that appeals to
all of us, some in different ways, beer meetings, hardware exchange,
hardware sale, hardware recommendations, and of course the non stop
linux questions... let's make this list the best it can be.

Nick Thompson

"All unix, all the time."

http://npt.ath.cx