On Monday 19 June 2006 11:05 am, jerry Nolan wrote:
> I also am interested in a tutorial session. I am retired in Cottage
> Grove and have installed FC2&3 but I need a lot more knowledge to use
> effectively.  I have several other distros on cd that I can share if
> anyone is interested in a tutorial meeting. I have fc4&5, slack
> 10.2&10.1,gentoo 2004.2,mandriva,  ubuntu, suse 9.2, free bsd6.0, plus
> some disks that come with "linux format mag" like skype, several games
> etc.     Jerry Nolan

Hey, I live in CG myself, had fun with my daughter at Strawberry Fest last
weekend.

I have a printed 0.84 version of Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition which is
also freely available online. It used to be rute.sourceforge.net but it is
apparently gone from there. I found it on google at for example:
http://www.chongluo.com/books/rute/.

This is a very detailed book that helps cover the fundamentals of computing
and also Linux. Many concepts are applicable to all *nix such as the
principle that everything in the file system is a file: files, directories,
character devices, hardware, sockets, links, etc. Other basic commands are
also generally available across all *nix OSs like ls, grep, find, tar, sed,
ps, shells and piping, etc.

I did not read all of this by any means but I did start reading from the
beginning and it really helped me understand some of the important
princicples of computing. I mostly used it as a reference guide as I wanted
to know more about something I would jump to that chapter and read up on the
specific topic. Then when I understood the info there I would either apply
that to what I wanted to do or else read online for any additional
information which was usually extremely easy to digest at that point with
only needing to comprehend the details and not the concepts since most
documentation online covers the details and not the concepts and are not very
good at teaching only showing you how to do.

I use Gentoo on my desktop at home and have used the same installation of
Gentoo for the last 4+ years. I use Linux a lot at work as well maintaining
many Linux servers.