>their any open source projects that would fit the bill?

I used VideoLan to stream video from my laptop to my living room computer to play family videos at a get-together. I believe it has a server functionality.

I do recommend since you like to take advantage of open source technology to put bread on your table; it would be a nice gesture if you donated money to the VideoLan project if you indeed find it to be your solution.

~David

"Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds" - Einstein

"Cuanta estupidez en tan poco cerebro!"