On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Wayne Johnson wrote:

> Several years ago, when I first tried to join this email list, I
> couldn't use my yahoo mail address.  Something about a group vote that
> banned all yahoo mail accounts supposedly because of spam coming
> from/thru yahoo.
>
> For quite a while, I just skipped reading the tclug list because it was
> difficult to access via my home e-mail account.  Recently I have been
> using my corporate e-mail account.  I don't like using my employer's
> e-mail account for personal use, not to mention the logistics of
> carrying on an e-mail conversations using 2 different accounts is nearly
> impossible, therefore I put forth this resolution:
>
> Since:
> 1) Yahoo has put much effort in preventing spammers from going through their e-mail portal, including requiring interpretation of graphical images (i.e. "Enter the words shown below") on both registering for an account and sending suspicious e-mails.
> 2) Most junk mail with a yahoo return address isn't really from yahoo (check the headers if you want to find the real source).
> 3) Limiting mail from only list members should prevent most spam from getting through.
> 4) Since spammers also have the possibility of using other services, banning just yahoo accounts is prejudicial.  AOL is now selling spam so if anything, they should be banned too.
> 5) TCLUG's mailing list should be available to all.
>
> Be it resolved:
> I request reconsideration of the ban on yahoo e-mail addresses.

I don't know what the formal process is, but I would vote in favor of your
resolution.  Also, note that Yahoo Mail (Beta) came in at #30 on PC
World's Best Products of the Year a few days ago:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125706,pg,13,00.asp

Isn't our list limited to subscribers only?  Doesn't that kill most spam?
I have my own spam filter anyway.

Mike