On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Pete Daniels wrote:

>> So do I run Ubuntu from the Desktop CD, open a terminal window and type
>> "gparted" on the command line?  Or do I have to download gparted
>> separately (gparted live CD?).  Will it be tricky to understand how to
>> use that -- I haven't used gparted before.
>
> Gparted is included in the CD, system > administration >gnome partition
> editor.  It's dead simple, if you know your way around a partition list,
> it shouldn't give you any problems.

I'm installing Xubuntu on an older machine for practice.  It's not dual
boot -- I'm just putting Xubuntu alone on one HDD.

I get how to use gparted, and I partitioned the drive in a simple way
using the gparted live CD.

The problem comes when I'm doing the installation of Xubuntu.  I imagine
the installer is the same as for Ubuntu.  I turn off the screen saver and
proceed with installation.  When I get up to the stage where it wants to
partition the disk, I see know option for skipping that stage.  If I try
to accept the defaults, it hangs.

Mike