On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:48:09AM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
   > I am running in to some strange memory errors when trying to optimize a
   JVM.
   > When I set the min and max to 1.5gb and start the JVM, I immediately
get
   an
   > OutOfMemoryError. If I pull it back to 1.2gb or so, it works fine. The
   > amount of physical memory in this machine is 4gb, and nothing else is
   really
   > running on it. The machine is running RHEL 2.1, kernel 2.4.9-e.65smp.
   >
   > We have another server that we just upgraded the OS on, to RHEL 3,
kernel
   > 2.4.21-40.ELsmp. On that server, the JVM starts fine with a 1.5gbmin/max.
   >
   > I suspect this has to do with the way the kernel manages memory. I know
   > have read that you can not give a JVM over 2gb of memory in Linux, but
   am
   > not even getting close to that. Since this works on the newer kernel,
   maybe
   > its something thats compiled in, but I was hoping it was a
configuration
   > that could be changed.
   >
   > Anyway, I would just like to get some ideas because I really would like
   > know more about tuning the kernel for memory management, and I would
like
   > know why these JVMs are throwing these errors - mostly out of
curiousity

- Ignored:
   as
   > to how things work.

   What JVM and what version? Have you tried SUN, IBM and JRockit?

   Is this for an application server, or a J2SE application?

   From the memory limits I infer you are running on i386. Are both
   machines identical? Are both JVMs indentical?

   florin

   Florin,

   Thanks for the quick response.  I am currently using the Sun JVM version
   1.4.2_08.  This is for a Tomcat application server version 4.1.31 .  Yes
   both machine are identical except for the OS.  One is RHEL 3, kernel
   2.4.21-40.ELsmp and the other is RHEL 2.1, kernel 2.4.9-e.65smp.

   Jeremy