I am running in to some strange memory errors when trying to optimize a JVM.
When I set the min and max to 1.5gb and start the JVM, I immediately get an
OutOfMemoryError. If I pull it back to 1.2gb or so, it works fine. The
amount of physical memory in this machine is 4gb, and nothing else is really
running on it. The machine is running RHEL 2.1, kernel 2.4.9-e.65smp.

We have another server that we just upgraded the OS on, to RHEL 3, kernel
2.4.21-40.ELsmp. On that server, the JVM starts fine with a 1.5gb min/max.

I suspect this has to do with the way the kernel manages memory. I know I
have read that you can not give a JVM over 2gb of memory in Linux, but I am
not even getting close to that. Since this works on the newer kernel, maybe
its something thats compiled in, but I was hoping it was a configuration
that could be changed.

Anyway, I would just like to get some ideas because I really would like to
know more about tuning the kernel for memory management, and I would like to
know why these JVMs are throwing these errors - mostly out of curiousity as
to how things work.

Thanks you in advance fro your help.

Jeremy