On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Sidney Cammeresi wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 at 20.46.52 -0500, Jeff Rasmussen wrote:
>> On 6/3/06, Jordan Peacock <hewhocutsdown at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is how I got it running, after setting up the ssh and vncserver
>>> install stuffs.
>>>
>>> 1. ssh username at IP -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901
>>> 2. From server: vncserver :2 -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 -name NAME
>>> 3. From client: vncviewer -via username at IP localhost:2
>>
>> Make sure you only use the -L option within a private network.  The -L
>> option opens the local port to any computer to send traffic through
>> the tunnel.
>>
>> Use -l to only allow the ssh client to send traffic through the tunnel.
>
> (1) -l specifies the username and has nothing to do with port forwarding.
> (2) -L (at least in openssh) does not allow remote connections to the
> local port by default.
> (3) -g enables remote connections to the local port.

It's the same on ssh.com's version of ssh2 except that the -g option
doesn't exist.  I'm almost 100% sure that the -l (login name) and -L
(local host port forwarding) options are universal in ssh.  There is also
a -R for remote host port forwarding.

I think the incorrect message didn't get through to the VNC list, so no
need to send a note there.

Mike