It seems to work for me to just say "apt-get install x" and then let it figure out
that it's really doing an upgrade.

Or how about using aptitude or dselect?

You can also mark the ones you don't want to upgrade as "held" or use
pinning to keep them at a certain version, then use apt-get to upgrade the
rest.

-Steve