In my opinion, system imaging sucks, espically when you have lots of
different hardware!!!

In my opinion, your best option is to setup Remote Installation
Services on a Windows 2003 server. If you would like an open source
solutions, look into Unattended (http://unattended.sourceforge.net/).
I've never used Unattended myself, but both RIS and Unattended try to
acomplish the same goal. If you're dealing with a number of Windows
clients, I reccomend RIS and Active Directory. Yes, it's a Microsoft
centric solution, but if you know what your doing it works well and
will give you minimum headaches.

Both Ghost and Microsoft's documentation for RIS and system imaging
pushes you tward creating, ick, images using sysprep and risprep.
Ignore sysprep and risprep please! I use Ghost only for crating exact
backups of machines that I'm about to reinstall, or when replacing
harddrives but perserving the existing OS. (ie: bigger hard drive is
needed). System imaging is great for these situations.

For system installation, imaging is bad because the image contains the
OS, all preinstalled software, as well as all the drivers needed for
the hardware. And you need to create an image containing all that for
every different piece of hardware in your enviorment. It's just a huge
waste of space! And because you need to change things like the
computer name, you have to walk through the Windows mini setup for
every computer, manually join the computer to Active Directory, etc.
etc. etc.

With both RIS and Unattended, you can setup a network bootable fully
unattended installtion that will work for every platform. This way,
you have a single OS installation source, a single source for software
installaltion, and a source for divers. The software and driver souce
can be used not only for new installs, but also for installing
software on machines that already have windows installed and just need
updates. And with some work, you can go from bare metal to fully
installed and ready with about 60 seconds of interaction with the
computer.

First, get the Deploy.cab that has been updated for Windows XP Service
Pack 2, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.
You can find this at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838080. The
Deploy.cab included on your Windows media may be out of date. The
Deploy.cab contans many helpful resources. You'll mainly be concerned
with deploy.chm (Documentation, very helpful! You will be referencing
this file alot), and setupmgr.exe. setupmgr.exe helps you generate an
answer file to completely automate your Windows installation.

Before getting to the automate step, get Windows security updates out
of the way. Visit http://smithii.com/?q=node/view/12 and download the
script to make slipstreaming all the Windows updates into your image
really easy. The script will copy the XP install files from your
Volume License CD, then start downloading all the updates, and once
all the updates are downloaded it will slipstream them into the
install files. Your install files are now updated with the latest
updates.

Now on your server, you'll use the RIS setup tool to copy this image
to the RIS server. This part is fairly painless.

Now for the fun stuff. Use setupmgr.exe to generate your first answer
file. Select RIS, fill out infomation, etc. Once you have a .sif file,
create a copy. Edit your copy with your favorite text editor. Now go
back and reference deploy.chm to understand your answer file. There
are a few options that you will want to add:

For example, I have a unattended file for a Dell GX620. I've added the
following to my [Unattended] section:

[Unattended]
    DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    OemPnpDriversPath =
Drivers\GX620\Audio;\Drivers\GX620\NIC;\Drivers\GX620\Chipset
    OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No

[GuiRunOnce]
    Command0=C:\Drivers\GX620\GX620.bat

Read through the Unattended install section in the chm file. Look over
all the options. You'll find useful stuff, and it's well worth your
time.

Now that you've been introduced to the unattended file a bit, you will
need to go about adding drivers to your RIS image. For starters, read
this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315279/en-us

You may notice I've also added other drivers paths to my unattended
answer file. To do this, go to
\\servername\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\ImageFolder.

In ImageFolder (i386 will be in ImageFolder) create a directory named
$oem$. Under $oem$, create a folder name $1. Under $1, create a folder
named Drivers. Under my Drivers folder, I have a Scripts folder, and
then a folder for each hardware platform I support with RIS. Currenty
I'm setup for Dell GX260, GX270, GX280, and GX620. Earlier Dell
Optiplex hardware is fully supported by the default drivers in Windows
XP, so I also have a non machine specific install for these
computers.I have a different unattended answer file for each hardware,
but the only difference is the driver paths defined under [Unattended]
and the Run Once script.

The run once script does the finishing touches: It fires off unattened
installations for Anti Virus software, Microsoft Office, Java, Citrix
Client, an Intel video driver that I haven't gotten to work durring
the RIS install, and probally a few things I've forgotten. Once all
the installs are done, it reboots the sytem. (I disabled rebooting in
any automated software installs)

The simple bat script looks like this:
REM Map a network drive
start /wait net use I: \\server\Software "" /user:guest /persistent:no

REM Install the stupid Intel Video Driver that doesn't work with RIS.
start /wait %SystemDrive%\Drivers\GX620\Video\Setup.exe -32x1024x768x72 -s

REM Install Office 2003
start /wait I:\MS_Office\2003\CD\setup.exe /qb-

REM etc etc etc....

REM Reboot! :)
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -m \\%computername% -t 60 -c "Post
Install Reboot" -f

This all seems like alot of work, but the end result is I turn on any
computer, select the network boot option, follow a few prompts, and
start the install, and walk away. From boot to install setup takes
about 60 seconds, and the entire install process takes 30-90. After
the 60 seconds needed to start the install, there is nothing more that
needs doing.

How is this not off topic? Well I mentioned Unattended as an
alternative to RIS. :D

I've got a number of other web links that may be helpful, though my
bookmarks are totally unorganized so I just pulled the important ones.
I learned all this with google and the Microsoft knowledge base
searches, so everything you need is out there.

Hope this was helpful...

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue >0;