In my experience, the one way to really piss off a new boss, is to do
the exact opposite of what he says. If they are interested in spending
Microsoft Dollars on Microsoft Solutions, that's his decision. It's
your decision to provide him potential solutions and cost benefit
analysis of such solutions.

I used to work with a narrow-focused boss who consided Microsoft the
only solution. It took me several years before he finally told me he
wanted some software to monitor bandwidth on our cisco switches. My
obvious solution was MRTG (I conveniently forgot the Windows port).
And considering the price point of MRTG vs other Window's based
solutions, he didn't have much choice but to at least try it. I
installed and configured it, and he loved it. it did exactly what he
wanted and he got the price point he desired, $0.

Be tactful, pick your "battles" carefully. Talk with your Boss, let
him know different things that are happening in the FOSS world. Break
down the years of FUD the Microsoft and other marketing machines have
leveled on him.

More than just my $0.02 worth,

Scott