You can split the DSL off the phone lines as the line enters the house
and keep the lines running plain old phone signals.  That means the DSL
modem connects first, then the "DSL filter" connects the rest of the
house.  Thus, you could locate the DSL modem where the line first
enters, and run CAT5 to wherever your router wants to be.  OR..  Put the
DSL modem and a wireless router at the entry location and use wireless
for computers in the house and skip running the CAT5.

The old wires may be good enough for DSL, however.  The spec hasn't
changed from the nominal of twisted pair at 600 ohms characteristic
impedance.  Note that you can get by without re-wiring, so try it first
and then decide.

Chuck