On 7/30/06, Yaron <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Dave Sherman wrote:
>
> > One of my design goals is to NOT require a computer in every room,
> except
> > maybe a laptop to access the server and tell it where to send the
> output.
> > I'm not sure if we need to install separate sound and video cards for
> each
> > room, or what.
>
> I don't see how you could get away with it without a separate output
> channel for each room.

That's pretty much what I figured. Unless there is some sort of IP-based
appliance out there, that can take A/V input and translate it to S-video or
analog audio (or whatever) output. Now THAT would be cool.

I think if you install several sound devices and video devices, you should
> be just fine. Run several iterations of mythtv, and have them output to
> /dev/dsp0 and dsp1, etc. Then run the frontend on whatever laptop for
> whatever room you're in.

I hadn't thought of that. Each instance of myth would then be dedicated to
its own video/audio output hardware? I suppose then I could setup a web
interface with hostnames based on the rooms. We could have kitchen.house.org,
hobby.house.org, den.house.org, etc. Each hostname would be linked to its
own instance of mythtv.

It would be nice if we could have a single server instance that would have
different output channels. That way you just access myth.house.org, and
after selecting the type of output, you also select a channel/room to send
it to.

--
Dave Sherman
MCSA, MCSE, CCNA