On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:40:16PM -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad 600X (800MHz PIII, 576MB RAM, 40GB disk, etc) that WAS
> running FC5 just great... but I did some updates and messed around with the
> Services settings.
>
> The first bad sign was that the machine would hang during booting right
> before the login screen. I had to turn it off, but I could boot into
> runlevel 3, log in and run "init 5" and everything was great. So I tried to
> fix it...
>
> Now, starting in runlevel 3 hangs right after it asks me for a user name.
> The system is completely unresponsive. I haven't tried to go in remotely
> because it's set up for spiffy WiFi with the easy configuration tool, but I
> have to log in and give it the default keyring password before it will
> configure the card.
>
> So now, I can boot into runlevel 1. Joy.

Hold it, your runlevels are dropping fast... and 0 is not too comfy ;)

> So, tipsters, what's my next step to restoring my portable workstation,
> besides reformatting and restoring my user files from backup? (And yes, I
> have a backup.)

But do you have a *tested* backup? Eh?

> I'd really like to be able to diagnose what's going on, because I have two
> laptops running Linux, and I'd like to get another one in the house to
> switch, but right now my credibility is a little tarnished.

Boot with a live CD and you can continue to "fix" things 8^)

If Fedora does not have a "live CD" use Knoppix or *Ubuntu.

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra