I'm interestd too and have a couple of suggestions to look into.  The
USB 2.0 spec is 650 pages long, so easy to get things confused.  There
are three data rates, 1.5, 12 and 480 MHz.  Some old "legacy things"
like mice may not work at even 1.5 MHz, and sometimes it's desireable to
operate at a low data rate so the signal can get through a "narrow band
medium" such as a very flexible cord or very low powered wireless link.
How to limit the controller's rate is not clear: it polls to identify
the connection, and whether the polling rate clock can be limited to say
100 kHz is not clear.  Some legacy stuff supposedly operates at low
rates like that however.  Another application I'd like to explore is to
make the data connection to my smartphone when used for data-only so I
can set the equivalent of a modem's DTE rate to be say 1.5MHz.  The dumb
serial driver I have under WinXP emulates a sreial link (but it's
actually USB) and limits that DTE rate to the 115kbaud max UART rate.
There are interesting things to do at the 480MHz end, but that gets real
tricky for sustained dataflow from a PIC processor, etc.

Anybody need links to the spec and some apps?

Chuck