On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 at 11:05AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> I would like to hear from Chuck what he was doing that required 10
> digits instead of 8 digits.  That's pretty interesting.

Me too. The other day I learned that Ramanujan (a famous Indian
mathematician from the WWI era) had an expression that matched pi to 9
decimal places:

  (98.5 - 1/11)^(1/4)

I figured out the other day that if the above quantity and pi were both
measuring miles, the difference between those two numbers would be about
the width of a human hair. Over three miles long, and these distances
differ by a hairsbreadth! That's 9 digits of precision. I wonder what
you'd need 10 for.

Dan

--
Ceci n'est pas une .signature.