I still have the HP-45 calculator that I bought as a junior at the U
of M.  The HP-45 was the second hand-held calculator produced by HP,
following the HP-35 which debuted in 1972, my freshman
year.  Calculators were so outrageously expensive at the time -- the
HP-35 initially cost $395; the HP-45, $800 -- that they were
considered an unfair test-taking advantage over the bulk of students
who could afford only slide rules, and thus were banned during tests
until my senior year.  They had a demonstration model available for
anyone to play with at a counter in the engineering bookstore, and I
would sometimes go there late in the afternoons to use it on my
physics homework.  Man, how I lusted to possess that marvelous
device, which could so effortlessly calculate standard deviations,
convert between radial and rectilinear coordinates, and conjure
values of transcendental functions with to impossible precision
faster than an undergraduate could say "mantissa".  Kids today --
what with their umpty-GHz laptops and fancy spreadsheets --  will
never understand how easy they've got it! :-)

Prices for advanced electronics, then as now, dropped rapidly.  I
could afford the HP-45 midway through my junior year only because it
had within a year and a half dropped from $800 to $400.  (Bear in
mind that a typical textbook would set you back about $25 in those days.)

My old HP-45 is not for sale -- it holds great sentimental value for
me -- but I would be willing to loan it to you for a few days, if
you'd like to show it off to your math students.

-- Dean

BTW, Wikipedia has a fascinating article on the HP-35 et sequelae,
where you will learn that, "The HP-35 was exactly 5.8 inches long and
3.2 inches wide.  This was the size of William Hewlett's pocket,
hence 'pocket calculator'."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-35