On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, J Cruit wrote:

> I'd get the Treo700P from Sprint or Verizon nice screen, ssh available
> for palm OS, nice camera, cell phone and not windows OS.  Now I don't
> actually think it has Wifi but it does at least have the EVDO which is
> pretty darn fast, I get 700K down and 300k up in bandwidth tests using
> it.

It's too bad they don't add 802.11 to the Treo.  Maybe next time.  The
EVDO sounds nice, but Sprint's EVDO coverage is pretty sparse - limited to
big metro areas.  I don't know about Verizon's coverage.  Another thing I
don't like about the Sprint offer -- they make you pay a lot extra to be
able to use the Treo EVDO with a laptop.

The screen on the 700p is also 320x320, like the 650 (but the 600 was only
160x160).

Overall, I recommend these devices as cell phones.  They are killer cell
phones.  But, they aren't very good PDAs.  The integration of PDA with
cell phone is fantastic though.  For me, the integration aspect definitely
outweighs the mediocrity of the Treo as PDA.  I only want to carry one
device, and I absolutely love making calls directly from the contacts
list, or from Vindigo or from a web page.  If you lose your phone, all of
your phone numbers and other data are backed up on your computer, so you
aren't totally SOL.  Cell phones that don't sync to a PC are a disaster
waiting to happen.

> It however is not a linux os but it plays very well with them.

I have a Treo 600 and I run PalmVNC on it and use that to connect to a
Linux box.  It works.

Mike