John Meier wrote:
> Hey Nick-
>
> Meant to mention that I also have some experince with soldering surface
> mount junk - I've modded a few playstations and the like.  I have a
> soldering iron with a fine tip.  I could give it a try ...
>

> I also just bought a nslu2 locally, so if yours gets fubared, I could
> probably return it :)

Holy crap, the nail clippers actually worked. I had read about it before
you sent me the link, but I just didn't have the guts to do it before.
Anyway, since you everything you sent me (the razor blade, exacto knife,
etc ideas from the mail you sent to my address) agreed with the idea in
theory, I figured fuck it and when I got home from work, I was willing
to bet $80 it would work, and literally *double* my cpu speed. My gosh,
it worked! (Of course, in having been an idiot and just powered it down
w/o halting it [so the drive was still mounted] I can't seem to get it
to power back up to my gentoo install on the usb drive... ssh never
comes up. However, I know it worked, and am guessing I just need to plug
the usb drive into one of my desktops and run fsck on the thing... I
think the ssh daemon never comes up because it's running fsck on the 120
gig drive on the slug, which is a slow machine even though I just
doubled the speed. :) BTW, I know it worked because if I unplug the usb
drive, openslug does come up and I can ssh in to that, and dmesg shows
266 mhz / bogomips so *sweet* hehe anyway, I am celebrating, but once I
get gentoo back up and the ssh daemon lets me in, then I really will be
happy because holy shit will it be cool to suddenly just literally
double the speed of a machine... especially a gentoo box. : ) Anyway,
updates to follow...

Also, john, I am very interested in the serial port mod as well... I
have everything, pre assembled with a 4 ping female end... just need to
solder pins or wires into the holes on the board... still though, I am
afraid of breaking it. If you think you could pull off the serial mod... : )

Nick

"All unix, all the time."

http://npt.ath.cx