Nate Sanders shouted into the void:

> I've looked around Google and every where else and I really don't think
> there is an answer to this, but I thought I would ask anyways. Has
> anyone found a good full functional replacement for XV as a photo
> viewer/editor? From what I can tell the only options consist of multiple
> applications, primarily EE and Gimp. EE is too basic and Gimp is a bit
> too much. XV was so simple and minimal yet powerful.
>
> Any suggestions on where to turn?

John Bradley is the original author of XV.  He's got a web-site at
http://www.trilon.com/xv, which include a downloadable tar.gz file
for xv-3.10a (the latest version I've been able to find).  The
downloads page is at http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html and
includes patches for various things at the bottom.

I grabbed a copy, built & installed it on FC5... it's the same
XV from previous releases.

BTW: For whatever reason, Bradley isn't using one of the common
open-source licenses, instead it's an odd-ball "shareware" license,
but free for "personal use."  Restrictions exist, see the license in
xv-3.10a/README after you unpack the tar.gz file for further info.

Hope this helps'idly,

-S