I've used DBAN before, several hundred times, in fact to whip the
contents of drives before sending old systems to the recycler.
Unfortunately, I've never had a system do that before. DBAN's default
behavior is to write "0" over each sector on it's first pass, write
'1' on each sector on it's second pass, and write "0" or "1" on each
sector on it's third pass. I don't know why that would prevent the
bios from detecting the drive though.

I'd suggest trying to flash the bios of the machine and see if it
recognizes the drive with a newer "brainstem".