FYI nfs is not encrypted and if you're afraid your network may be
sniffed I'd use one of the encrypted data transfer methods mentioned by
the other posters.

----- Original message -----
From: "Isaac Atilano" <aristophrenic at warpmail.net>
To: "jim scott" <jimdscott at gmail.com>, "TCLug List"
<tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:43:50 -0600
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Simplest home network possible

The most secure thing you can do is leave the service off and start it
only when you need it. Unless you're extremely paranoid you can use any
service you want to transfer the data. Just shut the service down once
the transfer is complete. I use NFS shares for that type of thing.
If you want to do this remotely, use ssh to log in to your server and
start/stop the service.