On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:29:50AM -0600, jim scott wrote:
> Hello, all. I'm going to connect up 2 Linux boxes on a home network. I'll
> connect the boxes and my DSL router/modem to a switch. Right now, I've got
> all incoming services disabled on both computers -- no telnet, no ftp, no
> rsh. I would like to be able to copy data from one PC to the other. What's
> the most secure service I can  use for occasional data transfer between the
> two PCs? Thanks for any advice.

scp (part of the ssh suite) is an excellent choice.  It basically
works just like the normal cp, except you can copy to or from a
remote filesystem.

If you prefer an ftp-style interface, ssh also has sftp, but a) I
find the scp interface to be more powerful than the interactive ftp-
style interface and b) depending on your distro, sftp may require a
little bit of additional setup.

(Oh, and you say you have no telnet, no ftp, no rsh enabled?  Good.
Keep it that way.  Use ssh instead.  There's no reason to use
cleartext services when an equally-to-more convenient encrypted
equivalent is available.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that