Somebody sent me this link:
http://www.muniwireless.com/

It seems like wireless has the potential to give
everybody in big fell swoops broadband access. I'd
like to see Internet access be like a utility, a
public-sector "given" wherever you are. Of course the
argument is the private sector has expanded the
Internet very quickly and manage it well. However, if
times get bad, they might pack it in and leave us all
without Internet, or at crazy prices.

If times get bad (not enough oil to cover the demand?)
the Internet would greatly aid everybody's ability to
connect, brainstorm, organize locally, regionally,
whatever. Without it, we're at the mercy of some
top-down BS--maybe like we saw in NOLA.... :-(

Olwe