(II) SIS(0): Not using mode "1280x1024" (no mode of this name)

There were a couple of earlier messages related to this mode, that were
repeated for the successful 1024x768, as follows.

II) SIS(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SIS(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)
(II) SIS(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) SIS(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (bad mode
clock/interlace/doublescan)

I'm not sure what 'no mode of this name' means, other than that it possibly
does not recognize that pair as a valid screen dimension.

Any further feedback?

Thanks again,

Charlie

On 1/27/06, Eric van Gyzen <eric at vangyzen.net> wrote:

> Charlie O wrote:
> > I am running Slackware 10.1. I just got a new monitor, and am trying to
> > change the default screen res.
> >
> > I went in and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and put in the new horizontal
> > and vertical refresh rates, and added the new, "1280x1024" to the Modes
> > line for each defined Display subsection.
> >
> > I have restarted the machine, several times by now.
> >
> > When I pull up KDE Control Center, the maximum screen res is the old
> > 1024x768. Running the command xdpyinfo shows the same.
>
> The first step in troubleshooting anything is to check the logs.
>
> Look in /var/log for something like Xorg.0.log.  In that file, look for
> lines like:
>
>      Not using default mode "1280x1024" (_reason_)
>
> where _reason_ is something like "hsync out of range", "insufficient
> memory for mode", or "it smells funny".
>
> The few lines before and after those might also be helpful.
>
> Asynchronously,
>
> Eric

------=_Part_4240_296527.1138399270915

First of all thank you both for helping,<br>