Charlie O wrote:
> I am running Slackware 10.1. I just got a new monitor, and am trying to
> change the default screen res.
>
> I went in and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and put in the new horizontal
> and vertical refresh rates, and added the new, "1280x1024" to the Modes
> line for each defined Display subsection.
>
> I have restarted the machine, several times by now.
>
> When I pull up KDE Control Center, the maximum screen res is the old
> 1024x768. Running the command xdpyinfo shows the same.

The first step in troubleshooting anything is to check the logs.

Look in /var/log for something like Xorg.0.log.  In that file, look for
lines like:

     Not using default mode "1280x1024" (_reason_)

where _reason_ is something like "hsync out of range", "insufficient
memory for mode", or "it smells funny".

The few lines before and after those might also be helpful.

Asynchronously,

Eric