Shouldn't be a problem to remove Gnome but you may run into problems
removing X.  There are programs that depend on X for generating graphics
files and the like.  Removing X can be done and there should be
instructions for doing it out on the net but it may require recompiling
some packages with different dependancies.

-Brady