(whoops, didn't copy list)

On Tue, January 24, 2006 2:38 pm, Erik Anderson wrote:
> On 1/24/06, Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> If I use pipes at the command line in a shell
>>
>> >ls | grep myfile
>>
>> is the underlying c code in ls and grep using named
>> pipes, fifo, or something much more mysterious?
>
> I don't believe it's that complex at all. Please correct me if I'm
wrong, but in the shell, I believe that the | operator just takes STDOUT
one program and redirects it to STDIN of the other.

The shell does it, (|) by launching the commands with shared pipes (man
pipe), or (0< / 1> / 2>) passing a file descriptor as
[0]stdout/[1]stdin/[2]stderr.

David Carlson
thecubic at thecubic.net

David Carlson