On 1/16/06, The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net> wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I've got a Debian box here that doesn't want to run cron jobs. I've got
> > the standard Debian cron package installed and the daemon is running.
> > Neither jobs created in crontab nor the shortcuts in /etc/cron.* run at
> > all.
> >
> > Any ideas? I've restarted cron but that doesn't help. I'm not sure what
> > to try next.
> >

> Just an idea...
>
> Debian won't run scripts that have a file extension, eg., "cronjob.sh"
> won't run, "cronjob" will.

Not quite.  It uses run-parts to get things in cron.d, so it excludes
certain extentions  but not all.  Check the man page for run-parts to
see the exact regex used.

> I've been bitten by that one on more than one occasion.  If that's not
> the issue then I'm not sure what may be happening.  Permissions perhaps?

I've also been bitten by expired users.  If the cron user has an
expired password entry (regardless of it having a password) cron will
not run.  Not only the user named cron, but also the user cron would
execute as.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/