I've deployed two Dell servers running Linux lately. I opted for the
hardware raid card and the remote managment card. Both have been worth
every extra penny spent. :-)

But if you can't afford the extra hardware, software raid will do
well. Ideally for a RAID1 you want to have each drive on a seperate
SCSI or ATA channel, though it's definitly not required.

I ran a Linux server with software RAID1 for some time. It worked out
quite well, but I didn't boot off the RAID. Having done it both ways,
I perfer the hardware route. It's just one less thing to muck around
with. :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue >0;